Former NHSO lieutenant announces intent to run for Pender Sheriff

first_img According to a news release, Cina has more than 16 years of full-time law enforcement experience with the Wilmington Police Department and New Hanover County Sheriff’s Office combined.  He served as a lieutenant over the New Hanover County Jail and New Hanover County Courts and a sergeant over the New Hanover County School Resource Officers, the Downtown Joint Task Force, Uniform Patrol, Bike Patrol and Housing Joint Task Force.“I am fully dedicated and excited at the chance to serve Pender County in a higher capacity and intend to continue to make my community a safe and prosperous region,” Cina said in the news release. “I have been a dedicated admirer of Sheriff (Carson) Smith during his 15 years of service, and after his announcement to step up in a role as a representative in the state’s capacity, his exemplary leadership and dedication as Sheriff have convinced me to want to follow in his footsteps all the while supporting him in his future endeavor to become our state representative.”Smith announced last month he would step down as sheriff to run for the North Carolina House of Representatives 16th District seat.Related Article: Carolina Beach leaders fire town managerEarlier this week, Wilmington Fire Department Battalion Chief Randy Burton, a former deputy in Pender and New Hanover counties, said he also plans to run for sheriff. Joseph Cina (Photo: Joseph Cina) PENDER COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — Another candidate has thrown their hat in the ring to run for Pender County Sheriff.Joseph A. Cina, a former lieutenant with the New Hanover County Sheriff’s Office and current small business owner in Pender County, has announced his intent to run for Pender County Sheriff next year.- Advertisement – last_img read more

Read More »

Overdose pilot program meant to help find treatment

first_imgThe program is focusing on helping those who overdose and reject additional treatment. (Photo: CBS) WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — All eyes are on Wilmington as the city kicks off a new pilot program for the state. It focuses on the opioid crisis and it encourages users to get treatment.“Treatment is the answer. It’s the number one answer,” Wilmington Mayor Bill Saffo said.- Advertisement – It’s a partnership to help people who overdose on opiates find treatments.“A partnership between your first responder systems like police and EMS and community paramedics. And the treatment systems in the community,” Coastal Horizon clinical director Kenny House said.Wilmington received $500,000 in state funds to build these teams to provide peer-support specialists, licensed behavior specialists and a part-time medical director or psychiatrist.Related Article: Mayor of Wilmington shares concerns about possibility of selling NHRMC“We just hope to use a team of folks that can get out there and talk to these folks and have been through this process before. They can convince somebody to get in treatment as opposed to not taking treatment and of course being back out on the street, doing the exact same thing and perpetuating the problem,” Saffo said.If someone is revived with Narcan after an overdose and then refuses treatment, these teams will reach back out to them.“Within a couple of days, with a group of healthcare providers, with our EMT people, with different folks that can get them into treatment and making certain that the treatment is available and where to take them,” Saffo said.Organizations like Coastal Horizons want to get involved to ease concerns.“Sometimes people need the encouragement to overcome those perceived and real barriers so that they’ll take the step to get into treatment,” House said.There is a not a specific group selected for this program and there is a bid process. Once complete, they hope to start on July 1.last_img read more

Read More »

Wilmington leaders approve incentive grant money development agreement for large buildings

first_imgNational Gypsum VP of Manufacturing John King talks before Wilmington City Council. (Andrew James, WWAY) WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) – Wilmington city leaders join their counterparts of the county and will pay to see National Gypsum return to Wilmington.City leaders unanimously approved their own incentive grant for the drywall company to return to its Sunnyvale Drive plant. It was shut down nearly a decade ago.- Advertisement – The city will pay upwards of $230,000 in the first five years of National Gypsum returning if they meet some conditions.One of them was added in their meeting, council members mirrored the county in asking the company create a new stack test for emissions within its first year.“I think that’s what is equally important to the financial incentive is the clear message saying ‘hey we want you and we’re going to be here with you and we’re going to help you be successful’ and we’ll both benefit from that,” said Wilmington Business Development CEO Scott Satterfield.Related Article: UNC Wilmington to play Clemson for hurricane relief gameThese grants do not guarantee National Gypsum will return to Wilmington.The company is permitted to emit more than eight tons of formaldehyde by the state if they resume operations here.The company agreed to the city-added condition.City council also had lengthy debate during their hearings on new development agreement outlines that will, in a way, replace the process of requesting a special use permit. The reason the city brought this to their agenda and through the planning commission was that several city council members have had issues with the SUP process. During it, council cannot talk to anyone, public or private regarding the development requesting a permit.Council voted 6-1 on the development agreement rules you can read here. Some of these rules were changed during the meeting, but they will require a public meeting to allow for neighbors to come and see the proposed development.However, it does not require any public hearings for comment, something councilman Kevin O’Grady was adamantly in favor of adding in, but the council could not pass his amended rules with a majority vote.Following the council’s approval of the new development agreement, they voted 6-1 with allowing structures as high as 75 feet to be constructed in urban mixed use zones without the requirement of a special use permit, but with a developmental agreement.last_img read more

Read More »

Calabash breakfast staple suffers serious damage during fire

first_img “I’m sad to see a local business suffer I hope they come back quick,” said Brian Spadaro.“I don’t know whether to cry or laugh, so we’ll see,” said owner and operator George Stathos.Stathos and his family have operated the eatery for more than forty years along Beach Drive. A fire in the middle of the restaurant left a torched interior. The restaurant went under costly renovations in January.Related Article: Reward increased for info leading to homicide suspect’s arrest“I think we may be one of the fortunate ones where we had minimal damage fire wise but we do have smoke and water damage from the looks of it,” said Stathos.The fire was first reported by workers at the neighboring Calabash Deli who saw heavy smoke coming from the restaurant’s roof just before 3:00 p.m. The restaurant had closed for the day at 2:00 P.M. and no one was present when the blaze broke out.“Sean called 911 and within minutes they were here by the loads,” said Devin Holland who works at the Deli.The Calabash Fire Department was assisted by firefighters from Sunset Beach, Grissettown/Longwood, Shallotte Point, and Civietown as well as Horry County, SC. Ocean Isle Beach firefighters stood by and covered the fire district for the units tied up at the fire. Brunswick County EMS personnel also responded to the scene.The family has insurance and now has to wait to see what comes next.“Luckily no body got hurt, everything is fixable,” said Stathos.WWAY has reached out to the fire marshal for more information on the cause of the fire. CALABASH, NC (WWAY) —  A Calabash staple for breakfast will not be open tomorrow or for some time after a fire torched George’s Pancake House. Owners are saying they are lucky because it could have been worse.The Calabash Fire Department responded to the report of a fire at George’s Pancake House on Beach Drive in the heart of Calabash. Arriving firefighters found smoke pouring from the roof of the one-story restaurant. – Advertisement – last_img read more

Read More »

Final suspect pleads guilty in Wilmington murder

first_img On March 20, 2016, just before 6:00 pm, Clark was attacked and robbed at his home in the 500 block of Alabama Avenue.That night, Donna Beck drove William Fought, Mark Landreth, and Chavis to Clark’s home.Two of the men attempted to kick in the door but were unable.Related Article: Felon charged with kidnapping, murder of Hania AguilarBeck later drove them back to Clark’s home and knocked on his door. When Clark opened the door, the men assaulted and robbed the victim of money, prescription medication, and watches.The defendants took off.Clark was hospitalized at New Hanover Regional Medical Center due to his life-threatening injuries. Clark died from his injuries less then three weeks later.Police quickly identified Beck as a suspect and she identified the others involved.Beck entered pleas of guilty to second degree murder and robbery with a dangerous weapon on June 15, 2017. She is currently serving a minimum of 18.41 years and a maximum of 23.16 years in prison.Co-defendant Mark Landreth entered pleas of guilty to second degree murder and robbery with a dangerous weapon on November 15, 2017.He is currently serving an active sentence of a minimum of 26 years and a maximum of 33.25 years in prison.On August 23, co-defendant William Fought entered pleas of guilty to second degree murder, and two unrelated assaults on law enforcement officers. He is currently serving an active sentence of a minimum of 26 years and a maximum of 32.25 years in prison.On Thursday, a judge sentenced Chavis to a minimum of 18.41 years and a maximum of 23.16 years in prison. WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — The fourth person tied to a deadly robbery in the Sunset Park area pleaded guilty to murder.The district attorney’s office says Joshua Chavis, 26, entered a plea of guilty in the murder of David Leroy Clark, 55, on Thursday in New Hanover County Criminal Superior Court.- Advertisement – last_img read more

Read More »

Have you gotten a flu shot

first_imgWILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Experts say if you have a fever of 101 or higher and you feel overall sick, it’s worth a call to your medical provider. You may have the flu!Every winter, there are a number of viruses that can cause cold symptoms. But, the flu is a serious, deadly illness. The typical flu season is January to late March.- Advertisement – But, Dr. Paul Kamitsuka, an epidemiologist and infectious disease specialist, says we haven’t reached the peak in the season yet.The flu shot is 50% effective and it’s not too late to get it.“It is the best tool we have to minimize the effects of the flu,” said Kamitsuka. “Now 50% may not sound like a lot but, consider that seat belts are about 50% effective also and yet everyone thinks it is a good idea.”Related Article: Celebrate July 4th at Freedom FestIt takes about 2 weeks for the flu shot to take effect in your body. Kamitsuka says if everyone got a flu shot, it would save thousands of lives and thousands of hospitalizations.last_img read more

Read More »

March for Our Lives Wilmington members gather to honor Parkland massacre victims

first_imgWILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — 17 people senselessly gunned down at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on Valentine’s Day, 2018. Since then — marches and messages for change.Kathryn Conlon, one of the co-directors of March for Our Lives, Wilmington explains that  “we are planning a vigil to honor and remember the 17 lives lost in the Parkland shooting in Florida one year ago.”- Advertisement – There was one message in particular that the co-directors of March for Our Lives, Wilmington want us to keep in mind:“This is a completely non-political event,” explains Kathryn.Another co-director, Fletcher Williams agrees: “This is not a political event. I want Parkland to know that we will always be with them and that we want to make sure that we do everything in our power to ensure that a senseless act of tragedy like this never happens again.”Related Article: Local students plan vigil to honor Parkland school shooting anniversaryDirectors, other March for Our Lives members and even a survivor of the Parkland shooting spoke on last year’s tragedy, and how the community can continue to honor the lives taken from us, and continue to recover.James Watson, another March for Our Lives member reminds us that “like us, those young people were sons and daughters, brothers and sisters, nieces and nephews, grandchildren.”“We live every day for them, since they can’t,” said Sloane Saia, a Parkland massacre survivor.last_img read more

Read More »

Wilmington man wins 200000 lottery prize

first_img “My 2004 Isuzu Rodeo recently died,” Lucas said. “I’ve been without a car for the last little bit. Now I’m going to get a brand new Jeep Gladiator. This is just unbelievable.”Lucas, who sells insurance, bought the winning Blazing 7’s ticket at the Circle K on South 17th Street in Wilmington. When he scratched the $5 ticket he did a double take.“I had to look at the ticket five times,” Lucas said. “I kept thinking, ‘Is this true? If it is, this is something big!’”Related Article: It’s National Pumpkin Day!Lucas claimed his prize Tuesday at lottery headquarters in Raleigh. After required state and federal tax withholdings, he took home $141,501.“It feels incredible,” Lucas said when he got his check. “I’m still in shock.”Blazing 7’s launched earlier this month with four top prizes of $200,000. One top prize remains. Andrew Lucas claims $200,000 lottery prize on Tuesday (Photo: NCEL) WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — A Wilmington man is $200,000 richer after buying a scratch off ticket at a gas station.The first thing Andrew Lucas said he’s going to do after winning? Buy a new car.- Advertisement – last_img read more

Read More »

Ohio exconvict charged after claiming to be longlost Illinois boy

first_img SharePrint ReutersReuters Federal prosecutors on Friday charged a 23-year-old former convict with making false statements after he claimed to be Illinois teen Timmothy Pitzen, who went missing in 2011 after his mother killed herself.Brian Michael Rini of Medina, Ohio, was charged with lying to federal agents after he appeared looking confused in Newport, Kentucky, outside Cincinnati on Wednesday and claimed he was 14-year-old Pitzen, federal officials said. He told them he had escaped from an eight-year ordeal at the hands of sex traffickers. Pitzen was last seen when he was six years old.Rini’s claim was debunked on Thursday after DNA test results conducted at the Cincinnati Children’s Hospital confirmed he was not the long lost boy from Aurora, Illinois.“Law enforcement confronted him with the DNA results, and at that point the person immediately stated that he was not Timmothy Pitzen, and of course law enforcement knew by virtue of the DNA analysis that he was in fact Brian Rini,” said U.S. Attorney Benjamin Glassman during a briefing with reporters.After confessing that he was not Pitzen, Rini told federal agents he had heard about the missing boy’s case on the ABC television program 20/20 and wanted to get away from his own family, according to court documents.“When questioned further, Rini stated that he wished he had a father like Timmothy’s because if he went missing, his father would just keep drinking,” Federal Bureau of Investigation agent Mary Braun said in the court documents.Rini appeared in federal court on Friday morning and is being held without bail until his detention hearing on Tuesday. He faces up to eight years in prison if found guilty, Glassman said.Rini’s lawyer, Karen Savir, did not immediately return calls seeking comment on the charges against her client.Rini had twice before claimed to be a child sex trafficking victim, federal prosecutors said. He was released from Ohio’s Belmont Correctional Institution on March 7 where he had been serving 14 months for burglary and vandalism, according to public records.“False reports like this can be painful to the families of missing children and also divert law enforcement resources in order to investigate these untruthful claims,” said Herb Stapleton, acting special agent in charge for the Federal Bureau of Investigation in Cincinnati.Pitzen’s case has stumped authorities since May 2011. The boy was last seen with his mother, who pulled him out of school in Aurora, Illinois, a far-west suburb of Chicago, took him on a trip to a zoo and a water park, and then took her own life in a motel room, leaving behind a cryptic note on her son’s whereabouts.“Tim is somewhere safe with people who love him and will care for him,” she wrote in the note, according to reports by ABC7 Chicago. “You will never find him.”WhatsApp <a href=’http://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/ck.php?n=ab2c8853&amp;cb={random}’ target=’_blank’><img src=’https://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/avw.php?zoneid=97&amp;cb={random}&amp;n=ab2c8853&amp;ct0={clickurl_enc}’ border=’0′ alt=” /></a>last_img read more

Read More »

Students raise awareness on dementia

first_imgMinister for European Affairs and Equality Helena Dalli delivers a speech during the European Capital Cities Trade Union Network (ECTUN) Conference which will focus on ‘How Trade Unions of the European Capital Cities can approach the issue of pay rise’.Minister for European Affairs and Equality Helena Dalli delivers a speech during the European Capital Cities Trade Union Network (ECTUN) Conference which will focus on ‘How Trade Unions of the European Capital Cities can approach the issue of pay rise’. Students and teachers from the Għargħur primary school have brought up a presentation to raise awareness on dementia.The presentation illustrated the voyage that the students made in order to acquire more knowledge on dementia which included a visit at Jasmine House, a nursing home in Msida. Year 5 students delivered a strong message through a play and two songs that reflect the experience of persons suffering from dementia.Parliamentary Secretary for Persons with Disability and Active Ageing Anthony Agius Decelis was present at the show and in his speech he explained how he enjoyed seeing the students raise awareness on dementia amongst their peers, even though adults might sometimes think that such topics might not interest or might not be understood by children of their age.As part of a dementia awareness campaign, the Parliamentary secretariat for Persons with Disability will be bringing to the stage two presentations of the play Frammenti (fragments), one in Mosta and one in Paola. The play explores the experience of a family that is dealing with dementia. Another presentation of the play will be performed on Saturday the 13th of July at 7pm in Pjazza San Ġorġ, Victoria.WhatsApp <a href=’http://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/ck.php?n=ab2c8853&amp;cb={random}’ target=’_blank’><img src=’https://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/avw.php?zoneid=97&amp;cb={random}&amp;n=ab2c8853&amp;ct0={clickurl_enc}’ border=’0′ alt=” /></a> SharePrintlast_img read more

Read More »